Image Map

February 10, 2012

A Day Shopping in My Old Neighborhood

Today was one of those days where I wonder why I don't have more like them.  After dropping off my oldest child at school, I decided to spend the day in my old neighborhood in Dunedin, FL. 
(not my house but wish it had been)
Dunedin is a fabulous historic town with cottage homes and perfect rocking chair front porches along brick paved streets.  It is right near the water where you have view of Clearwater Beach.  The town sports a fabulous downtown area with restaurants, antique shops, and boutiques. There are a ton of weekend activities like antique and craft festivals, a weekly farmers market, and holiday celebrations.

And we used to live in walking distance to downtown.
I miss it.

But...we rented because a place like this is pretty touristy, and can be pricey.  But I miss being able to walk downtown for dinner and an ice cream cone, or walk to the library.  We even had an AMAZING playground and park in walking distance next to the marina. It really is a sweet place to live.

So today I took my Ella to that very park after knowing exactly where to park before the crowds came.  Local knowledge is rather handy. :) And I decided to take photos of my day to let y'all get to know me a little bit better.  So come shopping with me. 
And I did get permission from all the shop owners to take photos.
First we hit the Farmer's market which is always packed.  Produce, cheese, fresh bread, homemade salsa, gourmet coffee and jams, fresh flowers and plants...all just fabulous. I about fell face first into those pastries there. 
This place, Merchants on Main, is pretty sweet with so many beautiful antiques. I fell in love with that ticking bolster pillow white tool box looking thing. Oh that round table!  And I was so bummed when this woman scored this chippy blue window frame with hooks on it.  I even made suggestions how she could use it!  I am either really nice or highly stupid. (wink)
This antique place is called Knot on Main Street and actually had another location ON MAIN STREET but it closed.  And this just reopened after BURNING DOWN!  Talk about a town with some resilient local merchants!!  I love this place and was actually on the hunt for something specific. No go but these old windows, chalkboard frames, and crates were talking to me and making my heart so happy.  I ached to take it all home with me.  And that dresser still might!
Then there is this amazing shop, Rainbow's End Quilt Shoppe.  It is the largest quilt shop in Florida and they boast 20,000 bolts of fabric.  I walked in and almost fell over! They carry every designer I have ever heard of and it is so GORGEOUS...a total happy place for me.  And I bought nothing.  If I bought anything...I would have spent $500 in 2 minutes. But I did love those little handmade cinch bags tied together like a little garland.  How cute is that? (top left photo) ♥

Well, there were more places I visited and I could show you my daughter Ella swinging on the swings or eating an ice cream cone but are you even interested?  Well, heck...I'll share anyway.
Here's Ella enjoying our day...
Such a fun day doing what I love with someone I love.
Can't get better then that. :)

22 comments:

  1. Ummm....of course, we are interested in seeing Miss Ella!! She is such a cutie!! Looks like you two had a fabulous day & Dunedin totally looks like a place I could call home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well what a fabulous time you two had!!!! i have to ask -- were you wearing a different shade of pink! : ) what a cute picture that would make! well i am warning you now -- i am hoping on a plane and flying to Texas (never thought this Yankee would say that : ) LOL!!!! i am going shopping with you girls -- i need to -- i want to -- i have to!!!!!!! what a fabulous and wonderful place to go -- i LOVE it...i LOVE IT ALL!!!! what an exquisite way of presenting your special day -- you rock my friend...you truly do and it is such a BLESSING to have you back at full speed!!!!! sending you all tons of pink hugs!!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready for a day like that, too! Good to see you posting! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the house! Nice way to spend the day and heal up a broken arm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! Wish I could have been shopping with y'all! That's like the perfect day! And I've been to Clearwater beach! It's beautiful! I am dying to go antique shopping. Dying. As soon as the weather is nice and I've got time, I'm going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with Downtown Dunedin. I visited the Knot for the first time this week. I love just strolling around all of the shops. And my Daughter loves that playground. We try to get there at least once a week. And for the Fabric Shop, I have not step foot in there yet, I am afraid I would send to much...lol. Glad you enjoyed your day. I too need to do that more often, thoses days are usually few and far in between.

    ReplyDelete
  7. why oh why to i keep thinking texas!!!!! eeeeesh!!!!! so so sorry!!!!!!!! i will fly to florida in a heart beat!!!! : ) so if there is knock at the door it just might be me!!! : ) lucy's site is awesome!!!! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a wonderful place <3 I wish I could visit it too.

    xoxo, Roxana @ Comfy Space

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I've missed these types of posts. What a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course we're interested in seeing Ella!!! What a fun place to visit...and grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course we're interested in seeing Ella!!! What a fun place to visit...and grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for sharing..looked like a fun, colourful day. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually, the above comment was from me (vanessa Moore!!) i some how used my husbands name?? x

    ReplyDelete
  14. God bless you Jessica!
    I read through your blog a few weeks ago and it totally moved me to tears (the part on your struggles as an infertile lady and later on how you broke your arm). I am more than certain God is present in your life and doing wonderful things! You are such a beautiful woman of strength and I hope you will recover soon! Thank you for sharing such beautiful talent and stories with the rest of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Farmer's Market looks like a lot of fun, and the quilt shop, too!!! I love fabric! Pretty pictures !!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So I smiled as I felt I was wandering the neighborhood with you! I had about as much fun as ou girls....what a darling house! & how you describe the neighborhood...I would love to be able to walk ANYWHERE!!! We don't even walk to our park! I would LOVE to have anyplace to walk to but this neighborhood sounds heavenly!

    You girls had such a special day ...& me? I just felt lucky enough to spy on you two...although it would have been nice if she'd have shared a bite of that ice cream....that little doll! mY HOW SHE IS GROWING UP WAY too fast on us...Such a beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look at the fun day you had! I don't think the farmer's market was as interesting the last time I went (which was awhile ago now)... we'll have to take a trip back together with the girls! And I've never been into those cute shops - except Rainbow's End of course... that would be because once I am in there, I stay for hours and then it's time to go right home (but not before at least one child has thrown a tantrum and I'm yelling at them to put fabric bolts or thread back!) I do just love that place though. And I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Um, I want you to do this type of post all around town now. I love seeing the stuff I kinda take for granted through your eyes. I look at your pictures and think - wow - that looks amazing! How fun that little city is! Good grief!!! I have a new appreciation for Dunedin. You see the world through a beautiful, artistic, creative looking glass. Thanks for letting us peak through it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am hoping to have a weekend like your day this weekend!! My 2 sisters and I are meeting up to have some fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, I love seeing all the shops, but Ella is the sweetest one of all :) We were in Clearwater nearly 20 years ago and fell in love with it, now I'm dying to go back and see the shops you just showed us. I'd have to save for a long time though because I would probably not be able to go home without buying a lot of things! Thanks for sharing your delightful day with us. Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!